Posted 14 days ago
The Biden administration’s State Department recently informed the House of Foreign Affairs Committee that it would be allowed to review portions of the documents relating to the U. S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, with the caveat that committee Chairman Michael McCaul (R-Texas) suspend his push to hold Secretary of State Antony Blinken in contempt of Congress for refusing to turn over the files.
The House Foreign Affairs Committee first requested the documents over a year ago. Last week, McCaul confirmed a contempt vote to The Washington Times, but hedged that it could be suspended should Blinken agree to produce the documents.
“I hope the Secretary will comply with our subpoena,” McCaul said. “We’ve given him a lot of accommodations. Exercised a lot of patience.”
On a May 14 appearance on ABC “This Week,” McCaul stated he would move forward with criminal charges against Blinken.
“This would be the first time a Secretary of State has ever been held in contempt by Congress, and it’s criminal contempt, so I don’t take it lightly,” McCaul said.
McCaul is specifically seeking fulfillment of a subpoena that requests a dissent cable sent by 23 U. S. diplomats prior to the withdrawal of troops. Allegedly, the communication contains warnings that the Taliban was approaching and Afghan security was degrading while encouraging a faster evacuation.... (Read more)