Families of three Americans who died of suspected CO poisoning in Mexico City suing Airbnb

Posted 58 days ago

From NYPOST.COM

The grieving mothers of three Americans who died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning while staying at an AirBnB in Mexico City plan on suing the rental company.

Kandace Florence and Jordan Marshall, both 28, and Courtez Hall, 33, were found dead inside the vacation rental after they traveled to Mexico to celebrate Dia de los Muertos in October.

In an interview with NBC News on Wednesday, their mothers spoke out publicly for the first time since their children’s deaths and claimed that Airbnb should require carbon monoxide detectors to be placed in all of their rentals.

“I can not process in my mind why my daughter is not here today,” said Freida Florence, Kandace’s mother. “There is no excuse. There is no excuse, it cost $30. If I had known, I would have bought it for her.”

Local autopsy reports confirmed that the three friends died from the deadly toxin. The mothers’ Atlanta-based attorney, L. Chris Stewart, said it was caused by a broken water heater.

The lawsuit, which has not yet been filed, demands that Airbnb mandate carbon monoxide detectors at its properties. Stewart told NBC that the rental giant has been sued over this same issue in the past.

Airbnb already regulates guns and parties, the attorney said, making adding the detectors a no-brainer. Stewart said he believes the company does not require the detectors because it would force them to pull listings from its website, cutting into profits.

“It’s always about money. They only speak money, which is why this lawsuit is coming,” he said.

In a statement to NBC, Airbnb said that the Mexico City property has been suspended and that it has been in contact with the US Embassy in Mexico.

“This is a terrible tragedy, and our thoughts are with the families and loved ones as they grieve such an unimaginable loss,” the company said. “Our priority right now is supporting those impacted as the authorities investigate what happened, and we stand ready to assist with their inquiries however we can.”

Airbnb added that it already offers smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to all eligible hosts and has given away over 200,000 of them. They added that all of their hosts are encouraged to confirm that they have both.... (Read more)