Posted 76 days ago
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Monday the Trump administration is considering restricting United States' users' access to the Chinese social media application TikTok over concerns it is potentially being used by the Beijing government as a means to surveil and propagandize people.
Pompeo told "The Ingraham Angle" that he and President Trump are taking the reports seriously after host Laura Ingraham said India had already banned the app and Australia is considering doing so.
"We are taking this very seriously and we are certainly looking at it. We have worked on this very issue for a long time, whether its the problem of having Huawei technology in your infrastructure -- we've gone all over the world and we are making real progress getting that out -- we had declared ZTE a danger to American national security," said Pompeo.
"With respect to Chinese apps on people's cell phones, I can assure you the United States will get this one right too," he said, adding that he did not want to dive into specifics and potentially "get ahead" of any presidential announcement.
"But, it is something we are looking at," he said, going on to warn Americans that they should be cautious in using TikTok, lest they want their private information "in the hands of the Chinese Communist Party.
Pompeo also responded to former Obama administration National Security Adviser Susan Rice, after the potential 2020 Democratic vice-presidential candidate slammed him for appearing to be one of what she called "sycophants and weaklings" who purportedly refuses to properly advise Trump.
Rice made the remarks after a story surfaced regarding Russia allegedly offering bounties on American soldiers in Afghanistan. Ingraham called the story itself "murky" and played a clip of Rice for Pompeo.
"This is not the time to be handing Putin an olive branch. We have a president who is doing our arch-adversaries bidding it would se... (Read more)