Gunfire at deadly Breonna Taylor protest in Louisville caught on video; police say gunman was protester

Posted 12 days ago


A shocking video has emerged showing gunfire ringing out at a Louisville, Ky., protest demanding justice for Breonna Taylor Saturday that left one dead and another injured, as police revealed the suspected gunman was a fellow protester.

Tyler Charles Gerth, 27, of Louisville, died of a gunshot wound Saturday night, the Jefferson County coroner's office said. Police said the protester, later identified as Steven Nelson Lopez, was wounded in the incident and remained in custody at the hospital.

“The man had been participating in the protest since they began and had been arrested a couple of times over the past several weeks. He had been repeatedly asked by other members in the park to leave due to his disruptive behavior,” Louisville Assistant Chief of Police Robert Schroeder said. “In addition to this man, multiple other people in the park were armed at the time of the incident, and our homicide investigators are still working to identify all of the parties who may have fired during the incident.”

Cellphone video captured the moments a man wearing black shorts and carrying a black backpack raised a weapon and started opening fire around 9 p.m. Nearly two dozen shots rang out in less than a minute. People were seen ducking for cover. The man recording called out, “Oh my God!” when coming across someone in a pool of blood in the park.

Schroeder also showed a surveillance video depicting the moment the gunman first started firing, inciting panic among those camping out in the park. Louisville Metro Police responded to shots fired in the park within four minutes.

Personnel from the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office responded to the park and performed life-saving measures on the man who eventually died at the scene, according to police.

Law enforcement also responded to calls about a second victim who had been shot at the Hall of Justice, across the street from the park. That person was rushed to the hospital and is expected to survive.

A team from Metro Public Works started packing up tents, according to the police department. Personal belongings would be secured and will be available for pickup later Sunday. Louisville Chief of Public Services Amy Hess said the city would enforce its ban on any camping paraphernalia and temporary shelters inside the park following Saturday’s shooting.

“It’s a safety issue at this point. Over the past several nights we’ve seen increasingly dangerous behavior. We’ve seen several fistfights. We’ve also seen an increasing number of weapons that gave us concern, but all that ... (Read more)